[SunHELP] Latest machines that still run SunOS 4.1.4?

David L Kindred (Dave) kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Feb 7 15:55:17 CST 2002

Our collection of IPX and LX machines are really starting to show their
age, and are causing more help desk calls than I really want.  I'm
wondering if it would make sense to replace a bunch of them with a
couple of whatever the latest, greatest, biggest, fastest box is that
still runs SunOS 4.1.4?

The requirement is for program execution, remote login, maybe remote X
displays, but not for user desktop (i.e. all headless).  The only disk I
need is for OS, Apps, and Swap.  User data is all on existing NFS servers.

Has anyone else done this?  Does this make sense?  And which wonderful
reference will tell me all about which machines would run SunOS 4.1.4?

There's probably a nice big fat FAQ hiding behind a search keyword I
haven't thought of yet...

I wasn't sure whether I should start here or in the sunmanagers list or
even the rescue list, but I think a lot of us read them all anyway :)
If you think I should broaden the query to those lists let me know!

Thanks!

--
David L. Kindred                       <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator   Telesciences, Inc.