[SunHELP] Guys, this is not good...for Sun

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 4 08:36:43 CST 2002

And there you have hit on why IBM likes linux; all that lovely support
revenue.

The issue, regardless of Mr Ellison says, is that courtesy of the linux
bandwagon Intel x86/unix is becoming mainstream.
It's eating into all the proprietary hardware bases and SUN's most of all.
Their problem is that unlike HP, Compaq, IBM
they don't have an Intel offering of their with which to compete. Also their
service organisation is not set up to handle much in the way of off-base
support so they can't play IBM's (and to a lesser extent Compaq and HPs)
game.

SUN's success was as much to do with marketing as with their products.
Whatever question you asked there was one product and one answer. This
instilled a feeling of security in the customer base.  Now there is a
general realisation that the same answer can be had using cheaper hardware
SUN are going to have to have a rethink if they want to maintain their
position.