[SunHELP] Guys, this is not good...for Sun

Anthony J. Gabrielson agabriel at home.tzo.org
Mon Feb 4 07:07:21 CST 2002

I will have a really unpopular view, here goes.

I have been running linux for years, along with solaris, openbsd, and many
more.  My Sun machines running Solaris are only as stable as my intel
machines running any other nix, including the linux 2.4 arch.  The
journaling filesystems are great.  The support is even better.  I sent
out an email the other day looking for a bit of info on doing an ethernet
driver, I didn't get any responses - I also called sun and they asked me
why in the world I would ever want to do that.  I like Solaris, even thou
it is odd at points.  Most of the other free nix's are at least just as
good.

I want anyone who disagrees with me at this point to ask themselves why
sun should survive.  I'm expecting to hear due to their robust servers or
something to that effect. Do you run apache on that server?  Which smtp
server do you run?  More than likely it will run just as well under other
inx's.  Also Linux can be locked down.

Anyone have a legitimate answer to this?  I'm not expecting to see much.

Flame away!
Thanks,
Anthony