[SunHELP] Re: need help with SSH - Solaris 8

Will Yardley william+sun at hq.newdream.net
Fri Feb 1 17:35:10 CST 2002

Assad Khan wrote:

> I installed pkg's of OpenSSH and prngd and installed them but when I
> would try to ssh into a host on my network it could give me an error
> that var/spool/pengd/pool dir is not there or something, so I removed
> both the packages. Now I want to try both of them ny installing from
> source.

you may want to check out:
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0701/openSSH.pdf
and
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/tools/

there are some scripts there as well; if you use the 'openssh.server'
script as the init script for openssh, it will create the necessary
directories / files if they don't exist.

prngd is really easy to install; my /var/spool/prngd looks like this:

bacall% ls -al /var/spool/prngd/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jan 21 16:53 ./
drwxr-xr-x   7 root     bin          512 Dec 12 17:05 ../
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           0 Jan 21 16:53 pool=
-rw-------   1 root     other       4096 Jan 21 16:53 prngd-seed

just follow the readme in the pdf above or in the PRNGD README file and
install the binary by hand and you'll be in business.