[SunHELP] Help:Cylinder Block Summary Structure

Sundeep Saini sundeep_saini at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 24 06:46:36 CST 2002

Dear Sun gurus,
I have some problem in UFS.I trying to find out how to trace the particular
inode entry in UFS.I am using Nortons Disk Edit utility.
1st of all I reached to the vtoc. I got the offset of starting of file
system and then jump to the location at which root file system starts.
>From that location at the offset of 16 sectors I got the primary
Superblock.then after cylinder group start again I found a copy of super
block (16 sectors long) after that cylinder group block found.

After this Inode block starts. The 2nd inode is of the root directory. From
that inode entry I can reach to the root directory.

My actual problem is that if I make a file named /home/sundeep/sun1, Let its
inode is 94567,then how I will find its location by the previous procedure
like in which cylinder group its inode reside and how I can reach to that
particular cylinder group.

>From Super block I found the offset of "Blk Address of Cylinder grp.summary
Area. I reach that location but I am unable to read or understand that
Location contents. There are 16 byte entries, I am unable to find the
meaning of these bytes.Plz help me to find this problem or guide how I
proceed to sort out this problem.

Thanking You,

Regards
Sundeep Saini