[SunHELP] Home network

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Mon Dec 16 10:38:07 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 05:08:59PM -0800, Nejhdeh Ghevondian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have three sparcstation 5 (say S1, S2 and S3), all running Solaris 9.
> They are all connected (using switch) to 192.168.0.0 network.
> All three systems successfully ping, rlogin e.t.c
>
> S1 uses a "good old" dialup modem to access internet (using the ppp
> protocol).
>
> How can I configure other two systems, S2 and S# to gain access to
> Internet?  What files do I need to modify? '
>
> I want to use a routing configuration to do this. I know you can also
> use program called SQUID, but I really don't want to use this.
>

> Regards
>
> Nej

You can't just use routing because 192.168.0.0 won't route on the internet.

If you don't have routable local addresses, you have to either use a proxy
or some sort of network address translation scheme.

A proxy such as squid would probably be the easiest to install and set up.

Network address translation would be more versatile but more difficult to
set up and maintain.

Or you can pay your provider for a routable IP block.

--
Jim Pennino