[SunHELP] Off topic?: moan about Sun management

Kenneth Dunn luser at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 4 07:45:11 CST 2002

I read the following at:
http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,75921,00.html

it was in a market-o-gram sent out by Sun.

--snippet--

Viewing the increasingly complex networked computing environment from an IT
manager's perspective, Papadopoulos acknowledged the high cost of ownership
confronting user companies and proposed that Sun will solve the problem
with technology, not people. With as much as 80% of a typical IT budget
being spent on people operating a company's IT infrastructure, vendors can
offer users an array of solutions, he said. "You can go after this by going
after services," Papadopoulos said, referring to IBM's acquisition of
services firm PwC Consulting. Or a company can decide "I'm going to
engineer that out," he said. Sun's focus will be on the latter and on
technologies that advance data center automation, according to Papadopoulos.

--snippet--

I'm sitting here thinking things like:

Oh that is nice. Reduce the number of partly pointless people with more
pointless hardware running yet more pointless software. And pay for
something we have been promised but not getting. Ok I'm a cynical bastard
at the best of times but this whole services crock that is being pushed by
the marketdroids is just making me sick. If things worked as claimed and
didn't cost an arm and a leg things would be sweet and  Sun management
wouldn't have felt the need to give a big "up yours" to 11% percentage of
its staff ?

As much as I love DEC equipment there aren't that many DEC shops left in a
country of just under 4M people so there is no point is pretending I'm
doing it for the purpose of getting employment. I've got a feeling that
investing any time and money in learning anything about Sun hardware and
software for anything other than fun is going to be a waste of resources
too. Am I being more paranoid than usual ?

Thank you for your time. I've got my fire suit on if you want to chew me
out in private <luser at xtra.co.nz>