[SunHELP] Help I've killed my Ultra 5

Greg gonufer at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 15:44:51 CST 2002

On 12/01/02 11:22, James Lockwood wrote:
> First of all, in general you do not need to mess with flashing OpenBoot to
> handle larger disk sizes.  This was true for <80GB disks, I do not know
> for certain if it is necessary for larger ones (I'm sure Greg Onufer will
> pipe up if so).  Later revs of Solaris are necessary for certain disk
> sizes.

It's still true, OBP has never had any problems related to large IDE disks
on the mainstream Sun platforms: Ultra 5/10, Sun Blade 100 and the OS
doesn't use OBP for disk-related activities after booting so problems found
after booting (when using format, etc) are not due to OBP.  The 9GB and
32GB limits were always in the OS drivers and firmware upgrades were not
required to remove them, just OS upgrades.

Currently Solaris and OBP support IDE disks up to the 128GB (137
"marketing" GB) limit of the ATA-5 specification.  Even if ATA-6 support is
added to the Solaris drivers the IDE host adapters in the current machines
do not support ATA-6 addressing.

Richard: have you run full POST while monitoring the results on the serial
port?  Did you open the machine recently?  Usually the last thing you
touched would be the first suspect.  Maybe you damaged the IDE ribbon cable
while swapping disks in and out?  Maybe it's just not seated properly?  If
you did open the machine then reseat everything: cpu module, memory, all of
the ribbon cables.

-greg