[SunHELP] Help I've killed my Ultra 5

Frank-Christian Kruegel fchk at istda.com
Sun Dec 1 05:33:55 CST 2002

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 10:47:09 -0000, you wrote:

>I recently upgraded the prom version on my ultra 5 to 3.31 to try and get it
>to take a 120Gb EIDE drive to no avail. Unfortunately this now seems to mean
>that it won't allow me to install any other OS's successfully either.
>
>So far I've tried
>
>Solaris 8
>Solaris 9
>Red Hat 6.2
>Suse 7.3
>and the latest Debian
>
>so as you can imagine I'm pretty certain that it's the box rather than my
>week installation skills thats at fault.
>
>The issue is though as I don't have any kind of an os running I can't even
>downgrade the prom version if I could find an older one to try.

What _exactly_ doesn't work?

Can you boot a Solaris CD successfully?

Is the hard disk set to Master (and not Slave or Cable Select)?

What about your slices? Try a / slice on the first slice that is smaller than
1GB and use separate slices for /usr, /var and anything you need.

Mit freundlichen Gr|_en

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr|gel
IstDa Kommunikationssysteme