[SunHELP] Re: StorEdge S1 + Sun Fire v120? (Elwood Blues)

Martijn van Breugel vbreugel at euronet.nl
Thu Aug 22 17:43:47 CDT 2002

Hello,

I just purchased a V120 and a S1 for a project with us.

The specs of the V120 are 650MHz/IIe and a UltraSCSI 2 controller. It is
the follow-up of the Netra T1 AC200 which will be end of life, I think next
month. The S1 is the follow-up of the D130 which is already out of date.
The S1 has LVD SCSI which is backwards compatible with Ultra SCSI2, so yes
you can hook up the S1 to the V120 but at this moment there is no LVD SCSI
PCI controller certified for the S1. The S1 has also a LOM interface like
the V120. So hook up the S1 to the v120 by connecting it to the UltraSCSI
connecter of the V120 and wait when the PCI hostcontroller comes out or
hook it up to a second UltraSCSI hostcontroller. It works either way.

The SUN Fire V120 comes with 2 36GB disks inside and the S1 has place for 3
36GB drives. What we do overhere is using Veritas Volume Manager to mirror
the rootdisks in the V120 and make a concate/or stripe of the S1 with a
spare.Through the spare in every diskgroup and you can use it anywhere. Do
not use DiskSuite!!!!!.....Veritas is a better solution....

Goodluck,

Martijn van Breugel
SUN Solaris System/Network Administrator
The Netherlands