[SunHELP] Q: Regarding sun email (sedmail) configuration...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 11:07:35 CDT 2002

Hello all,

I never really tried this before, but I want to send email from my
local sparc to users "off my network" (I typically send emails via web
browsers). The problem is, the email leaves my machine, but never makes
it "into the wild"?

Here is the basic setup:

I have a dyndns.org setup (_______.dyndns.org) that works great,
meaning I can access my server remotely on the internet.

I have a plain Solaris 8 install on my box - did nothing to "configure"
sendmail.

Outside email get into my server fine (lionel at _______.dyndns.org) - it
shows up quickly.

When I try and send mail from my machine I get the following two error
messages:

553 5.3.5 mailhost.dyndns.org config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)
554 5.3.5 local configuration error

I did set the local machine entry as follows in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1    localhost
192.168.1.131 ultraden      loghost mailhost
   :

I am at a loss, I will try ripping out the mailhost, but I recall it
didn't work previous to me adding it...

In my extremely simplified view of sendmail/email in general, my MTU
(sendmail) should use DNS to resolve the destination machine, talk with
it directly, and transfer the mail from my machine to the receiving
machine. This is in contrast to typical "ISP" users, where my machine
uses SMTP to send the emails to my ISPs mail server, which in-turn
transfers the email to the intended machine.

Any help greatly appreciated - everything I read makes this look
simple/obvious, but obviously I am missing something simple!

Lionel

=====
Lionel

"I sense a disturbance in my pants!" - Jimmy Neutron

ARGUMENTS:
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com