[SunHELP] Q's about RAID on an E450.

Steve Fulton steve at esoteric.ca
Wed Aug 14 18:08:51 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm working on turning an unused E450 running Solaris 8 into a webserver,
and my colleagues insist the machine has RAID.  I'm familiar with hardware
and software RAID on other *nix's on the Intel platform, but not with Sun
machines, and my research has led me to a few questions:

1.  I've learned about the DiskSuite package that allows configuring of
RAID (software?).  Is this the only RAID available to me?  Or is there a
hardware interface I must configure prior to the OS booting (ie. on typical
Intel based hardware RAID cards)?

2.  If DiskSuite is the solution, does it require X-Windows or CDE?  Or can
I run it from the command line?  (I'm not at the site right now .. back
early tomorrow morning).

3.  Again, if DiskSuite ends up being used, are there any security issues
you're aware of (this will be a webserver, afterall)?

Thanks for your time!

-- Steve Fulton