[SunHELP] Root password problem

Steve Fraser sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 31 12:57:22 CST 2001

Ben,

That Sun tech is wrong. What you want to do is boot net -s into single user
mode on the Netra (assuming you have a proper Jumpstart image), then fsck
the appropriate partitions. After that mount your root partition with
something like "mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a". Then you can edit /a/etc/shadow
and remove the entry in the password field for root (this will be the second
field). After that init 6 the box, log in as root (with blank pwd) when it
comes back up, and change the pwd to what you want.

-Steve