[SunHELP] Root password problem

Ben Ricker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 31 12:48:10 CST 2001

I know that the question of how to boot a machine into Maintenence mode
when you have lost the root password has been answered many times
before. However, I have an added twist:

I have a Netra X1 that crashed REAL hard and it fragged the swap
directory. It now will only boot to the 'Hit CTRL-D to resume booting
(or type in root password to enter Maintenence Mode):'. Normally, one
boots into single user mode from CD. However, the X1 has NO CD! I called
Sun and they tell me that you cannot boot using 'boot net' and Jumpstart
into Maintenence Mode (so I can mount root, reset the root password and
then boot into Maintencen Mode). The Sun tech told me that one can only
boot into the installer but not single user mode (it might be because
they cannot tell anyone how to circumvent the root password).

Can anyone verify this? How can use the net booting feature into single
user?

Btw, I know it is stupid to lose root. An ex-employee did it and he does
not know what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben Ricker
System Administrator