[SunHELP] I need an idea on window managers

Paul Khoury sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 21:23:36 CDT 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:12:15 -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
>i feel the same way.  however it is a nice comfortable environment for
>people who are making the transition from windoze.  i find it fairly
>inefficient (well at least kde with the standard wm anyway) and somewhat
>bloated with all the little apps and stuff.  the antialiased fonts are
>kinda nice but whatevaz.... i think if you're a casual user kde might be
>a good choice, but for power users, a window manager that's more
>lightweight and more customizable is nice.
>
>ion is kind of interesting if you mostly deal with shell windows and
>such... really lightweight and you can use keyboard shortcuts for almost
>everything.  it has a pretty steep learning curve, though, and isn't so
>good for graphical apps.

I tried compiliing sawfish, but it seems to have dependencies that I couldn't get compiled, which
wasn't good.  And tonight is party night with coworkers, so I get a break from spending
my evenings compiling.  Also, where is a good place to learn how to use emacs?

>> >HTH.
>>
>> HTH?
>
>hope that helps.
>
>http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/HTH.html
>
>you know you've been reading too many mailing lists when you start to
>use terms like that. at least i didn't say 'HTH & HAND'

And HAND?  Okay, I know most of the popular acronyms, but not all of 'em.
;-)

Paul