[SunHELP] Building on Solaris

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 25 20:22:30 CDT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Mike's List wrote:

| Programs on Solaris are not forward/backward compatible.  You cannot
| compile a program under Solaris 6 and run under 8 or vice versa.

err? what are you talking aobut? I run app compiled under 2.6 and even
2.5.1 just fine on Solaris 8. Sun even says here:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/ds/ds-sol8oe/

that solaris 8 is backwards compatible. Of course, if your program deal
with the lower levels of the OS, compatability issues may arise, but for
your typical app, there is complete backwards compatibility.

Running a sol8 binary on 2.6 or even 7, however, is not guaranteed, and
I've run into problems first-hand trying this.

/dale