[SunHELP] Building on Solaris

Joshua Fielden sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 25 19:00:27 CDT 2001

But SUN promises ABI compatability, and apps you compile on 2.6 WILL run on
8.

http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2000-05/sunflash.20000523.4.html is
the press release.

When at a large content and cable modem provider, and we went to Sol8 for 9
machines to solve a specific need. I used the same /usr/local tree we used
on machines running 2.6. Except top generating an error line on invocation
(and still working correctly, I might add), we had 100% functionality of
everything we used, including gnuplot, ssh and other exceptionally
library-dependant or assembly-dependant apps.

JF