[SunHELP] Change NVRAM

Michael Horton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 25 18:22:47 CDT 2001

Mike, et al,

The NVRAM chips are interchangable from system board
to system board within the same type (U1 to U1; U2 to
U2; etc.).

The major issue in keeping the old NVRAM with the
new/replacement system board is if some software, etc.
uses the hostID or MAC address for some reason.  The
most common reason that I have seen is a license
server  with the licenses tied to the hostID.  (In
this case, it is easier to swap the NVRAM chip than to
contact each vendor and request new license strings.

Hope this helps,

HM