[SunHELP] OBP test-all repeats "bus error" over and over

Thomas Cameron sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 25 00:20:36 CDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0329_01C15CEA.DE4AC7F0

Howdy all -

I have a client who attached a Zzyzx DLT 8000 drive to the SCSI port on =
the back of an Ultra 60.  The Ultra crashed - hard.  They wound up =
re-installing the OS.  They attached the tape drive to another Ultra 60, =
which promptly crashed hard as well.  That's when I got called.  I found =
that now both of the 60's repeat "bus error" over and over when I run =
"test-all" from the OBP prompt.

The Ultra 60 reference guide says that the SCSI port is plain old =
Ultra-SCSI.  The Zzyzx web site says that he tape can be ordered "SCSI-2 =
Fast/Wide (LVD/SE or HVD)."  The customer does not know the =
configuration, but the tape drive has a 68-pin connecter on the back and =
two SCSI ports - the client has an active terminator on the port not =
attached to the cable.

So, I have two questions:  First - is the repeating "bus error" as bad =
as I am afraid it is?  Second - if there is a SCSI type mismatch (i.e. =
LVD to SE, or HVD to LVD), would that have damaged the Ultras?  I =
thought that one of the goals of SCSI was that newer drives would work =
on older controllers, and vice-versa.  My understanding is that HVD and =
LVD are not compatible, but I didn't think that this could actually =
damage the SCSI controller or drive - am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

------=_NextPart_000_0329_01C15CEA.DE4AC7F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Howdy all -</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a client who attached a Zzyzx =
DLT 8000 drive=20
to the SCSI port on the back of an Ultra 60.  The Ultra =
crashed -=20
hard.  They wound up re-installing the OS.  They attached the =
tape=20
drive to another Ultra 60, which promptly crashed hard as well.  =
That's=20
when I got called.  I found that now both of the 60's repeat "bus =
error"=20
over and over when I run "test-all" from the OBP prompt.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Ultra 60 reference guide says that =
the SCSI=20
port is plain old Ultra-SCSI.  The Zzyzx web site says that he tape =
can be=20
ordered "SCSI-2 Fast/Wide (LVD/SE or HVD)."  The customer does not =
know the=20
configuration, but the tape drive has a 68-pin connecter on the back and =
two=20
SCSI ports - the client has an active terminator on the port not =
attached to the=20
cable.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, I have two questions:  First - =
is the=20
repeating "bus error" as bad as I am afraid it is?  Second - if =
there is a=20
SCSI type mismatch (i.e. LVD to SE, or HVD to LVD), would that have =
damaged the=20
Ultras?  I thought that one of the goals of SCSI was that newer =
drives=20
would work on older controllers, and vice-versa.  My understanding =
is that=20
HVD and LVD are not compatible, but I didn't think that this could =
actually=20
damage the SCSI controller or drive - am I wrong?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thomas</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0329_01C15CEA.DE4AC7F0--