[SunHELP] I need an idea on window managers

Will Yardley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 22:12:15 CDT 2001

Paul Khoury wrote:

> >fvwm is interesting too but a bit harder to configure.
>
> fvwm or fvwm is cool, but I prefer that on linux, don't know why
> mainly there.  Well, probably because when I got started on linux in
> 1997ish, that was the coolest looking wm.

yeah i don't use it much but i like it ok.  not as many people seem to
use it anymore.

> And I don't care for KDE that much.  Looks too much like Windows to
> me.  Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

i feel the same way.  however it is a nice comfortable environment for
people who are making the transition from windoze.  i find it fairly
inefficient (well at least kde with the standard wm anyway) and somewhat
bloated with all the little apps and stuff.  the antialiased fonts are
kinda nice but whatevaz.... i think if you're a casual user kde might be
a good choice, but for power users, a window manager that's more
lightweight and more customizable is nice.

ion is kind of interesting if you mostly deal with shell windows and
such... really lightweight and you can use keyboard shortcuts for almost
everything.  it has a pretty steep learning curve, though, and isn't so
good for graphical apps.

> >HTH.
>
> HTH?

hope that helps.

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/HTH.html

you know you've been reading too many mailing lists when you start to
use terms like that. at least i didn't say 'HTH & HAND'

-w

--
GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/