[SunHELP] I need an idea on window managers

Paul Khoury sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 21:17:35 CDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:29:16 -0700, Will Yardley wrote:

>Paul Khoury wrote:
>> I'm looking for a new window manager/desktop (not quite sure of the
>> difference).  I looked at links from Bill's page, and I like GNOME.  I
>> like CDE, but the colors are kind of drab (I have the S24
>> framebuffer), and I'd love to be able to change the  background image,
>> and I don't think I can do it in CDE.
>
>i don't know about solaris specifically but i'm sure you can probably
>change the bg image with CDE.  you could try 'xsetroot', 'xsetbg',
>'xpmroot' or similar utilites.
>
>i like windowmaker a lot; it's kind of ugly by default but you can make
>it look pretty nice with some tweaking.  i find it easier to use and
>more lightweight than other window managers which i guess is why i
>always come back to it even when i try other window managers.
>
>www.windowmaker.org
>
>i'm pretty sure there are solaris packages for windowmaker.

And if not, that's what gcc and a lot of patience (time waiting) is for.

>a screenshot of my (slightly atypical) wmaker setup is at:
>http://infinitejazz.net/will/geek/screenshot3.jpg (on freebsd / X11)
>
>here's a random, more typical shot of windowmaker, with 'dock', 'clips',
>and a gnome or kde taskbar.  personally i find the doc and application
>icons to be kind of ugly so i get rid of them :p
>
>fvwm is interesting too but a bit harder to configure.

fvwm or fvwm is cool, but I prefer that on linux, don't know why mainly there.
Well, probably because when I got started on linux in 1997ish, that was the
coolest looking wm.

>http://infinitejazz.net/will/geek/new2.jpg
>
>as far as the difference between window managers and desktops, desktops
>like gnome and kde try to create a whole 'desktop environment' with
>built in programs and tools; they are not usually a window manager
>themselves; GNOME isn't a window manager, although it is usually
>packaged with sawfish (which is); you can use a desktop environment with
>other window manager; window managers like windowmaker have 'hooks' for
>GNOME and KDE.

And I don't care for KDE that much.  Looks too much like Windows to me.  Don't
know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
What matters a lot to me is customization, especially with background images, since
I have the S24 framebuffer.

>i prefer not to use a 'desktop environment' at all; they have limited
>utility for my applications.
>
>i've never used CDE but i've heard it's pretty darn ugly.

Not as ugly as BrokenWindows.  CDE looks like typical XWindows (then again,
what's typical), and sorta lends some looks to OS/2.  OpenWin is just plain crappy looking.

>> Additionally, I'm not subscribed under the rescue list, so if you
>> respond there, please cc to my address.
>
>HTH.

HTH?