[SunHELP] Dynamic Xterm Titles using PS1

Seth van buren sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 00:30:38 CDT 2001

Hello,
I am trying to dynamically set the tile of my xterm based on the machine and
directory I am in.

I would like this information updated everytime I change directories or
logon.logoff another machine.

I have seem many recomendations and FAQ on the internet on how do do this.

I do not want to wrap the "cd" command to do this, as this will not help me
when I logoff on machine, after telneting to it from another.

I have checked the Min howtoos and the Xterm FAQ site.  They all give a
method that uses escape charactes in the Prompt String (PS1).  However I
have found this to have no effect, other that when the prompt is first set.

I am using Solaris 8 and ksh.

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards
Seth