[SunHELP] disk almost filled up

Steve Wingate sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 23 23:51:24 CDT 2001

Execute 'du -s' on each of the subdirectories under /usr and figure out what's using the most space. Chances are you've chosen poor partition sizes and will end up reinstalling soon. Since you haven't shown us your partition sizes (df -k) it's tough to say.
If this is a home desktop this is one of those situations where the Linux method of making a giant / with only swap and /home separae begins to look like a good idea.
I chose the following for my Ultra 5 because it's just for education and I don't really care what happens to it.

/		4000
swap		384
/export/home	4500

My Sparc 20 webserver has everything broken down so I could mount some filesystems read only.
Before you hit that SEND button and post questions to the list, take a look at your question and say to yourself "what is someone reading this likely to want to know before they answer me". Put AT LEAST as much effort into asking your question as you expect someone to put into answering it.

> Dear folks
> My /usr file system almost filled up.
> But I still have enough time to find which directory in this filesystem
> consumes too much space.
> What command I should use to find which
> directory consumed most space and sort it until the least space?
> Please suggest

|Steve Wingate <stevew at velosystems.net>                  310.544.9920 |
|MCSE, CCNA, no JOB                      Tue Oct 23 20:57:11 PDT 2001 |