[SunHELP] SBUS fiber card?

Dave Garten sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 17:23:15 CDT 2001

Sebastien,

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that fcaw is for 100MB/s modules only
and soc is for 25 MB/s modules.  I have an SBus Fiber HBA (JINI) that uses
fcaw drivers and it is 100MB/s.  My 501-2553's (FC/AL cards) talk only
25MB/s.  I tried to upgrade them with 100MB/s MIMs (modules) and found the
plugs are not compatible.  Ouch$$$.

I don't think they can talk amongst each other.  Different technologies?  I
just don't know.  Maybe just different speeds like 100Base/x and 10Base/x
ethernet before the switching NICs/hubs.  They wouldn't talk to each other
either (still don't).

I don't know about hubs and GBIC modules.  I think they are 100MB/s only,
too.  I don't think enough 25MB/s stuff was marketed to get a switching hub
in the market.  Seems to have all been Sun stuff.  I have not seen a 25MB/s
GBIC module and I don't remember seeing anything about them in the GBIC hub
product descriptions stuff.

Hope I helped.

DG