[SunHELP] Disk Layout Issues...

Mike's List sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 12:31:54 CDT 2001

It really depends, if you want some sort of a "backup" then mirroring would
be nice.  I believe what SDS mentioned is that if you have all your metadb
on two disks on the same controller, there's a high factor or no failover
or safe recovery.  Usually you want to spread your metadb over multiple
disks on multiple controllers.  But then it really depends on what you're
doing (high server environment or just hobby/project web site).

Basic disk layout

slice 0 /			free hog
slice 1	swap			at least the size of your memory (for core
		dump, but usually twice the size of memory to be safe)
slice 2 (do not touch)
slice 3 /var			4G if you have 40Gigs to play with
		main thing is you want /var on own slice for security
slice 4 5mb-10mb for metadb

http://info.rutgers.edu/Techdir/solarisbody.html
the above is a bit outdated I think...

- Mike