[SunHELP] NTP server issue

Brian Hostetler sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 4 13:29:26 CDT 2001

I'm using Solaris 7, fully patched (including 106541-17 and 109409-03, which are related to NTP).

My clients are able to sync with any time server outside our network, but when I try to get them to sync to one of our internal servers, I get no love -- just timeouts. Any suggestions on what to look for?

ntpdate yields:
 4 Oct 11:27:20 ntpdate[24335]: no server suitable for synchronization found

This the server ntp.conf.  The clients are on the 10.80 network.

# Prohibit general access to this service.
restrict default ignore

# Permit systems on this network to synchronize with this
# time service. Do not permit those systems to modify the
# configuration of this service. Also, do not use those
# systems as peers for synchronization.
restrict 10.80.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap

enable auth monitor
driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/ntp/ntpstats/

# Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
# permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
#restrict 17.254.0.31 noquery nomodify notrap

# US CA clock.isc.org
#restrict 192.5.5.250 notrap
server 192.5.5.250 prefer

# US CA timekeeper.isi.edu
#restrict 128.9.176.30 notrap
server 128.9.176.30

# US CA ntp-cup.external.hp.com
restrict 192.6.38.127 notrap

# Permit all access over the loopback interface. This could
# be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
# the administrative functions.
restrict 127.0.0.1

--

Brian