[SunHELP] problem with pageouts when ram is free

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 29 16:43:05 CST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:25:40PM -0500, Alex Avriette wrote:
> it may come as a surprise to you that the machine is actually used for
> purposes other than just running the database and benchmarks. i cant very
> well take it offline to test it again without disrupting other workflows. i
> had been asking for general ideas as to why it might be swapping when it
> didnt need to be; i guess i just found the wrong place.

Actually, it doesn't come as a surprise to me.  Production systems
are production systems.  However, that doesn't mean that the vmstat
output you posted is useful for answering your original question.
Yes, it shows a snapshot of machine activity, but when you ran vmstat
the machine wasn't behaving as it was when you noticed the pageouts,
so -- again -- it's not very useful.  If the system really does something
it's not supposed to do, I'd rather see it before I believe it.

If you can reproduce the conditions which you mention in your
initial email, I'd love to see vmstat 5 output.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen