[SunHELP] Routing problem

Joe Pampel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 19 11:38:48 CST 2001

Lets have a look..

>>> Ben Ricker <bricker at wellinx.com> 11/19/01 11:46AM >>>
>>I have my 'defaultrouter' set to my gateway.

>>We brought on some customers accessing
us through VPN. I attempted to route to the new subnet and traceroute
was failing at the first hop! I had to add a static route to the host
setting the defaultrouter as the default gateway for routing that host
and BANG! Works.

OK. #1 does the gateway know how to get to the new subnets? The other half =
of the equation is
if the other subnets know how to get to you (which it appears they do =
since you can add a static and
make it work). If you're like most places, 0.0.0.0 routes to the internet =
on the default router and then there
will be statics (sometimes dynamic) for the various defined attached =
subnets. If that route is not there it would
explain your symptoms. Adding it to your server allows you to bypass the =
default router since specific routes always take precedence over default =
routes (or otehr less specific routes)

>>So, am I blaming the network guys for nothing or what? I cannot explain
why other subnets within our network route "out of the box" but these
subnets just added do not until I explicitley add a static route to it.

I bet they need to add the route to the default router.=20
Hope that helps.=20

- Joe