[SunHELP] default windowmanager, framebuffer console, server installation

Steve Wingate sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 13 12:40:33 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:48:27 +0100
"Kohler Benjamin" <Benjamin.Kohler at vpbank.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Iam new in solaris (from linux and *Bsd). I have a couple of questions. I
> hope that you can help me with it.
> 1. How can I change the default windowmanager (from CDE to Afterstep)?

Create an .xinitrc file that ends with 'exec afterstep' just like you would on another *nix. At the login prompt select OpenWindows as your environment. OpenWindows will read the .xinitrc file and execute whatevers in it.

> 2. How can I activate framebuffer console? (bigger resolution)

Depends on the frame buffer you're using. It could be fbconfig, m64config, or an OBP command. Since you haven't said I can't tell you.

> 3. I see that in die Solaris world the most sysadmins install x-window on
> server. What is the background of this?

Probably because Solaris doesn't support multiple consoles, so there is not ALT+F2, etc. Or because many Sun boxes run Oracle which requires a gui to install it and since many DBA's aren't sys admins they're more comfortable with a gui than a CLI.

> 4. How can i activate more consoles? (changing with Alt + F1, Alt + F2 ....)

See above answer.

> thanks
> Benjamin Kohler
> --
> Benjamin Kohler / benjamin.kohler at vpbank.com
> Information Technology / Network + Systems Engineering
> Verwaltungs- und Privat-Bank AG / http://www.vpbank.com
> - GNU GPL: "The source will be with you... always." -

|Steve Wingate <stevew at velosystems.net>                  310.544.9920 |
|MCSE, CCNA, no JOB                      Tue Nov 13 10:17:00 PST 2001 |