[SunHELP] Problem booting 2.7 after patching

Brian Scanlan sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 06:42:54 CST 2001

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 01:42:03PM -0800, Adam Skaffloth wrote:
> I applied the Patches for JDK 1.3.1 and installed JDK 1.3.1 on Solaris 7
> box.
> After rebooting the system it won't start and are giving the messages:
>
> INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx
>
> INIT: Failed write the utmpx entry:"  "
>
> INIT: Failed write the utmpx entry:"  "
>
> INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
>
> ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6, s or S):

Uh oh.

I had this before. This has nothing to do with corruption of /var or
anything - It's a fsck up in the postpatch script - potentially to do
with patching the system in multi-user mode.  Here's a quick fix.

http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/sunhelp/2000-January/002089.html

If that doesn't work, then this'll work.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=3A9EA71E.FA507249%40cisco.com

Check out the last posting by Matthew Levine.

Brian.
--
Brian Scanlan, Systems Administrator.
Irish Times New Media - http://www.ireland.com