[SunHELP] Problem booting 2.7 after patching

Ahmed Afrose sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 7 03:11:19 CST 2001

--------------51A945B450D2A8D0D2079065

Adam,
Boot off a solaris server software CD, mount the root file system and check
if (in anyway) the /etc/vfstab has been altered. Secondly, it could be the
fact that for some reason your logical lnks to devices have been deleted, if
thats the case, try this:

ok> boot cdrom -sw
#mount root file system to /a
#cd /a/dev/dsk
#rm c*
#cd /a/dev/rdsk
#rm c*
#cd /
#drvconfig -r /a/devices -p /a/etc/path_to_inst
#devlinks -r /a
#disks -r /a
#tapes -r /a
#ports -r /a
#audlinks -r /a
#cd /
#umount /a
#reboot

Let us know how you progress.
//

Adam Skaffloth wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I applied the Patches for JDK 1.3.1 and installed JDK 1.3.1 on Solaris 7
> box.
> After rebooting the system it won't start and are giving the messages:
>
> INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx
>
> INIT: Failed write the utmpx entry:"  "
>
> INIT: Failed write the utmpx entry:"  "
>
> INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
>
> ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6, s or S):
>
> And it does not matter what I write it will just return the same messages
> over and over.
>
> Anybody got a clue what happened ???
> How can I get past this or do I need to scratch this box and start over ?
>
> / Adam

--------------51A945B450D2A8D0D2079065

begin:vcard
n:Afrose;Ahmed