[SunHELP] Too many files open ?

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 10:02:41 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 09:45:22PM +0100, Michael Karl wrote:
> Hey Nicholas,
>
> I'm also wondering about this hard crash without any messages.
>
> But many Apples connected via Helios-EtherShare had reported the lost of
> connection to the U2 only seconds after the message of "too many files
> open". These Apples use the U2 as a time-server.
>
> What do you think is/was real problem ?

Without a crash dump, there's no way to know.
It's always possible for a deadlock to occur
in the kernel, and deadlocks usually appear
as hangs to the user.

That being said, it's certainly possible that
whatever caused the alleged deadlock was co-incident
with the EMFILE error.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen