[SunHELP] VGA Card, Term Server, and Console Port Question(s)

Ann Waters sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 23 08:46:46 CDT 2001

Hi Listers,

I am responsible for remotely supporting a bunch of Sun servers (varying models).  I was not involved in the physical installation of the servers.  The bottom line is that I have no console port access to these remote servers.  The closest I can get to console port access is ttya access via a term server.  To the best of my knowledge, this is not the "true" console port (ie. I cannot do a stop-a and get the ok prompt, etc.).  According to the person who set this whole deal up, the reason why I can't get console port access is because the server(s) contain vga cards.  This person says: "The only way to make the TTY ports the default console port would be to remove all the VGA cards from the boxes."  Is this true?  How do I identify/verify from an online/software standpoint that the server does contain a vga card?

Thanks in advance for any/all information about this.

Ann Waters