[SunHELP] What am I missing... (SS/5 Solaris install won't boot after install)

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 14:23:28 CDT 2001

> So, I'm sitting here, trying to get an SS/5-110 ready to ship, and I'm
> trying to install an OS (Solaris 7), but after the install completes, I get
> the following - any ideas?

On a sun4m machine the entire root filesystem must be 2GB or less and also
must physically reside within the first 2GB of the disk.  Did you create a
root file system larger than 2GB or perhaps place it somewhere other than
the beginning of the disk?

Sometimes an installation on a misconfigured root filesystem will work if
all of the files necessary to boot get installed in the right areas of the
disk.  The risk is that any change could result in an unbootable system if
the important files get rearranged on disk (restoring kernel modules from
backup, applying kernel patches, etc).

-greg