[SunHELP] Upgrade from Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.7

Atharva Karnik sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 11:59:58 CDT 2001

Hi Experts

We have Solaris 2.5.1 running on Sun Ent-3000
(Production Server - 24/7). There are some 3rd pty
softwares installed/compiled on the server like SAMFS,
Legato-networker, SAS which runs under Sol 2.5.1 and
needs to upgrade. I hv already upgraded SAMFS which
works under 2.5.1 as well as 2.7. Same I will be doing
with Legato & SAS. After upgradation to 2.7, I will
have to re-install that packages to work. (That is
what there document says).

I am worried about the softwares like Apache 1.3.4,
Perl 5.004, Jetadmin for 2.5.1, Samba2.0.3, Sendmail
and there are number of such softwares which usually
resides in /usr/local (or instllation dir if selected)
which are compiled with GCC-2.8.1.

What will be option for these softwares ?
Whether the software in this directory will not have
any affect if Solaris 2.7 also supports the same
version ?
What are other precautions shd I take ?

Because I will be having option to upgrade Solaris on
weekend only, I can get Server down for only weekend.

Can any body advise me on this ?
Thanks in advance.

AK