[SunHELP] vxfsconvert questions

Bruce Pullig sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 09:19:36 CDT 2001

I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer, the answers
will affect my vxfs implementation completion date estimate I need to
give management.

Can anyone provide a rough estimate to vxfsconvert a 400 GB ufs volume
in a SAN (Brocade/MetaStor) environment?  Are we talking minutes, hours,
days?

Is the volume reduction problem identified in Veritas TechNote ID:
235797 ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235797.htm )an absolute,
or is this just a possibility?  Is there a work around?  To me it
appears that it is an absolute, that we will never be able to shrink a
volume that was previously ufs.  This will be an issue that will
complicate our implementation of Veritas Foundation Suite.

I see no examples of using vxfsconvert other than three TechNotes on
vxfsconvert.  Can anyone confirm that the volume must be unmounted, and
that no switches, or other procedures are necessary?

TIA,
Bruce
  Bruce Pullig
  Senior Systems Administrator