[SunHELP] Wiping Sparc harddrives

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 11 02:12:22 CDT 2001

 This really depends on what the goal is. Any "quick" method
is not going to be secure. But then any software method
won't be secure anyway.
 Also, the type of drive in question is needed to come up
with a fast way of wiping the information off of them in a
large quantity. (i.e.- hot swappable drives lend themselves
easier to a "quick" solution)

 Do they care if the method leaves the information in a
fairly easy to recover state or do they want a psuedo-secure
method (less "quick", still not foolproof)?
 And out of curiousity, why is a scrapper interested in this
when it is the warehouse people (whose possession (and
responsibility) the drives are currently in) who have to
perform this before the scrapper can take charge of them?
And is the scrapping company planning on reselling these
machines instead of scrapping them?

 -david