[SunHELP] solaris 8 vs solaris 7

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu May 3 07:07:02 CDT 2001

> I will install solaris on some server. But I need to decide whether I =
> shall install solaris 7 or solaris 8. Since I currently use solaris 7 =
> and face no problems, I do not want to install solaris 8 if it is not =
> needed. Any comments will be appreciated.

i've used both 7 and 8, and there seems to be very little difference between
them from an "admin" point of view.  they are almost the same beast.  the
difference i have noticed however, is that i think Sun spent a lot of time
fine tuning 8 instead of adding new features.  8 has show itself to be quite
a bit faster than 7.  plus, support for 7 will be dropped at some point and
so from a support point of view ot would also benefit you to go to 8.

as a general rule of thumb (my thumb, not any one else's thumb) if you don't
have a compatability issue (meaning you software will only run on 2.6 not 7 or
8 for example) then there is no reason why you shouldn't use the latest and
greatest.  this isn't windows, if you know how to admin 2.5.1 you know how to
admin 2.6, 7 and 8 as well.

hope that helps,

-brian