[SunHELP] Veritas vs. DiskSuite

Lyndon Griffin sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue May 1 16:37:37 CDT 2001

Maybe I just don't know anything, but didn't Sun license disksuite code
from Veritas???  Or didn't Veritas write disksuite for Sun, using
VolumeManager as a codebase?  Something like that is tickling the back of
my head, which leads me to think from a performance perspective they're
pretty much the same.

In either case, in order to mirror the root partition, you'll have to do a
little number called encapsulation:  this basically creates a small slice
on the root disk that "points" to the actual structures on the two mirror
devices.  It's not difficult to do, but it may require a little advance
planning:  you need to have, I think, two free slices on your root disk
for a total of about 10 sectors.  Don't quote this on me - it's been a
while since I've done it - but I believe the two products are more-or-less
the same in most regards.  There's a great book from Sun Press called
Blueprints: Guide to High Availability which talks about both products and
provides a nice step-by-step instructional for doing this.

--
<:)  Lyndon Griffin
     Sr. Systems Engineer

PGP Public Key:  http://bsd4us.org/~lyndon/b/lyndon.pgp