[SunHELP] nvram stupidity

fsol2001 sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 18:55:01 CDT 2001

hello there ....

I'm wondering if someone can assist with a SparcStation2 problem.
Is it possible to install solaris using a terminal ?

I have a SparcStation2 whose nvram chip went faulty. I replaced it
and stupidly forgot to record the nvram settings before i started.
Now when i power it, it reports to a terminal that i have connected
that it cannot detect the keyboard type, and then sometime later
cannot read from boot device.
I have tried typing boot cdrom and probe-scsi, two popular commands,
but they have no effect as i am not at a command prompt.

Do i need to connect a proper sun keyboard and monitor in order to
reset the nvram settings. Having set them, can i then go back to the
terminal for the solaris installation session

As always, any advice is gratefully recieved

Thanks