[SunHELP] Veritas-Root Volume

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 01:33:04 CDT 2001

On 25 Jun 2001, ES Srinivas wrote:

| Hi All
|   We have a Sun E-450 running Solaris 7, Veritas Vol MGr configured on
| Root mount.It had been shipped to us from our HO and now the root
| passwd is misplaced.How can we disable/change the root passwd when
| Veritas Vol Mgr is running on the root mount(partition).

The same way you would with a normal set up.

boot into single user mode from a Solaris CDROM

mount the main drive's s0 partition:

mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt

then edit /mnt/etc/shadow and remove root's passwd.

umount /mnt

reboot -- -s

and then the machine will come back up with no root password in
single-user mode. Log in as root, give it a new password, reboot again,
and you're done.

When it comes to the root encapsulated slice and vxvm, there is no
difference in the way you do things.

/dale