[SunHELP] LinkSys Router with a Solaris Intel

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 25 01:19:34 CDT 2001

>From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
>To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [SunHELP] LinkSys Router with a Solaris Intel
>Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:55:12 -0400
>
>On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 05:25:19PM -0700, sajjad qureshi wrote:
> > Has anyone had any experience using the LinkSys Router with a Solaris
>Intel
> > box. The router using DHCP correctly assigns the Solaris box an IP
>address.
> > I can ping the router and other PC's on the network. But I am unable to
> > connect pass the router.
>
>i don't know anything specific about this router, but check and make sure
>it's
>set to tell the x86 box to use it as the default router.  it sorta seems
>like
>the packets don't know where to go.  if that isn't it, i don't know what to
>tell you.
>
>-brian

To expound, type "netstat -nr" at a console prompt within Solaris, and
look for something like the following:

bash-2.03$ netstat -nr

Routing Table: IPv4
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
192.168.168.0        192.168.168.1         U        1    195  hme0
224.0.0.0            192.168.168.1         U        1      0  hme0
default              192.168.168.192       UG       1    982
127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1             UH       2    750  lo0

The default router should be pointing to the "inside" address of the router,
the one you can ping successfully.  If your Solaris machine doesn't need to
act as a router itself, but just as a host on the network, you can set this
up by creating a /etc/defaultrouter file containing just the appropriate IP
address:

bash-2.03$ cat /etc/defaultrouter
192.168.168.192

Hope this helps.