[SunHELP] Performance Standards

Theodore White sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 12:49:12 CDT 2001

I have some performance numbers from a potential client, and wanted to know
what kind of system would be able to handle it? The application is database
driven (Oracle), with the majority of the app being static pages. I hoping
that someone could give me an idea of the kind of machines that I should
think about (The datbase would be on a separate machine, both machines
running Solaris 8, with iPlanet). Sorry if the info is kind of vague (or
not).....

Thanks in advance....

Number of Authorised Users: There may be up to 500,000 authorised users who
can gain access to the System at any time.

Number of Open Sessions: There may be up to 20,000 Open Sessions each hour
which may last for an average of twenty minutes each.

Number of Active Sessions: One in four Open Sessions may be Active Sessions
at any time.

Number of Page Requests: Each Active Session will generate Display Page
Requests: the average number of Display Page Requests generated by an Active
Session will be 25, and the average size of a requested Display Page will be
20 Kb.

Volume of Material Downloaded: Active Sessions may also call for Download
Pages of material and on average there will be 5 Download Page Requests for
each Active Session.  The average size of a Download Page will be 50 Kb.

Patterns of Use Over Time: There will be no significant variation in use
during particular periods of the day, during particular days of the week, or
during particular weeks of the year.

Performance: The Average Page Response Time will be 1 second or less. No
Page Response Time will exceed 2 seconds.