[SunHELP] Root Passwd

Fletcher, Joe sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 08:34:23 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Przyjazny, Martin [mailto:martin.przyjazny at eds.com]
Sent: 21 June 2001 14:11
To: 'sunhelp at sunhelp.org'
Subject: RE: [SunHELP] Root Passwd

Or instead of perpetuating the non-cooperative spirit,
talk to him frankly, and involve management.

The sysadmin IS management.

>From a sysadmin point of view there are limits to what a user is and isn't
allowed to do.
DIY privilege elevation is strictly on the "DO NOT" list. The user has
already proved to be
uncooperative by not handing over the script/binary.

In most organisations such behaviour warrants disciplinary action. If one of
your users compromises a system that you run what would your reaction be? A
polite, "please don't do that", isn't what's in the books. I think most
admins would use, "You're fired!"

I may sound harsh but I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

MetaPack
The Lightwell
12/16 Laystall Street
Clerkenwell
London EC1R 4PF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7843 6720
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7843 6721
This email is confidential and proprietary;
all information contained in it must be used only by the addressee in
accordance with MetaPack's terms of business and non-disclosure agreement.
Disclosure, copying, and distribution to, or use by, anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.