[SunHELP] 1 NIC router/firewall?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 14:19:52 CDT 2001

> Is this possible?
>
> Here is the situation:
> Here is my proposed solution(if this will work)
> Use this extra SS20 I have as a temporary router/firewall with only the
> onboard ethernet, then replace it with the P200 after all the users are
> switched over.
>
> The question is, can I have 2 IPs on the single ethernet port of the SS20,
> one public, one private, and plug it into the switch with the new circuit
> and have it route between the 2 IPs? Will my user PCs be safe on their
> 10.1.X.X network even though they are plugged into a switch that directly
> connects to the internet?

 Yes, it is possible. From the comments that you've already
received, you now know that it isn't advisable though. What
you want to look into is using ifconfig to create virtual
interfaces off of your existing physical interface (NIC).
You'll be able to do what you want, but also remember that
performance will also take a hit since all local and
external traffic will be going over the same interface.
Just try to make this as temporary a solution as possible.
 Search through the ifconfig man page for the string
"logical-unit" and you'll see what you need to do.

 -david