[SunHELP] 1 NIC router/firewall?

James Fogg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 13 13:11:20 CDT 2001

Not safe, not practical.
Spend money, you will be happier. Besides, how much does a security compromise
cost compared to an additional NIC card (or a proper firewall, like the PIX).

> > Is this possible?
> >
> > Here is the situation:
> > I'm going to be switching circuits, I currently have a P200 Linux box
> > acting as my router/firewall, I am bringing in a circuit to replace the
> > current one. I need to keep the old circuit active while I switch all
> > the users over to the new circuit. Problem is, I don't have enough
> > hardware to make a new router/firewall and keep the old one active.
> >
> > Here is my proposed solution(if this will work)
> > Use this extra SS20 I have as a temporary router/firewall with only the
> > onboard ethernet, then replace it with the P200 after all the users are
> > switched over.
> >
> > The question is, can I have 2 IPs on the single ethernet port of the
> > SS20, one public, one private, and plug it into the switch with the new
> > circuit and have it route between the 2 IPs? Will my user PCs be safe
> > on their 10.1.X.X network even though they are plugged into a switch
> > that directly connects to the internet?
> >
> > This seems like it would work, does anybody have an experiance with
> > such a setup?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Chad

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!