[SunHELP] Monitor CPU/Network performance

Michael Conlen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 17:37:27 CDT 2001

net-snmp is pretty easy to extend as well, if you can code in C and read
header files. I'm working on getting my code out of this company (may or may
not happen). Anyway with net-snmp stock I find a graph in MRTG of the five
minute load average works pretty well, though the normal load average caveat
applies, but if you have a good historical graph to compare to it's nice.
The CPU % numbers aren't that good to use I've found. I'm extending it to
actually read the CPU counters out of the kstat interface.

Also, if you can get at the /proc filesystem from C getting the cpu seconds
that belong to a proc is nice. We have a sybase server and I can graph the
CPU time charged to those processes and graph. The DBA's love it.

If I can get the code I'm working on out of the company I'll let you guys
know.

--
Groove On Dude
Michael Conlen