[SunHELP] Monitor CPU/Network performance

James Lockwood sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 03:15:12 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Robert H. Myers III wrote:

> Have you looked into what was UCD-SNMP?  Now called Net-SNMP, at
> http://netsnmp.sourceforge.net
>
> You could run that, then use something like cricket or MRTG to graph the
> results over time.
>
> Cricket: http://cricket.sourceforge.net
>
> Do a google search for MRTG, or check sunfreeware I think they may have some
> of those packages available. :)

There is no need to reinvent the wheel.  Orca is based off of the same
core as MRTG (rrdtool) and comes with a convenient import module to pull
all sort of data in from the SE toolkit:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/orca-example/

I've found it to be amazingly useful.  Unless you absolutely require your
data to be transferred through SNMP I think Orca provides more
functionality and is easier to get going.

-James