[SunHELP] .rhosts question

Magnus Abrante sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 08:46:22 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:21:34AM -0400, william.x.ng at verizon.com wrote:

> All,
> Does anyone know what is the difference between "+" and "+ +" on .rhosts
> file?
> Here is the issue that I have, I have two machines (A and B), same
> configuration, running NIS+ .
> machine A, user A has .rhosts with +, user B rlogin to machine A, it works.
> machine B, user A has .rhosts with +, user B rlogin to machine A, it
> doesn't work. But if user A put "+ +", then B can do rlogin.

an + in the .rhosts should allow anyone with the same username as the user
in question to login as the user without a password from any system.
"+ + " would allow any user to log in from any system as the user without
a password, and are extremely unsecure.

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my employer */