[SunHELP] CUPS vs LPRng

Michael S. Schiller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 6 00:32:39 CDT 2001

Hi.

I use CUPS on all my unix machines, and it works great. Printing from
samba couldn't be easier! Something was changed after version 1.12 (1.18
is current) that no longer lets machines automatically 'see' printers
hooked up to other computers unless you add them by hand on each
computer (unless there's some other way of telling the system to do
this, and I just don't know what it is), but that's one of the reasons I
switched to CUPS in the first place, made printing from my Suns (running
Solaris) and PCs running linux or BSD much easier than using the
standard tools that come with solaris.

I have no experience with LPRng, so can't comment on it.

-Mike

Big Endian wrote:

> I'm charged with building a new print server.  I'm going to be
> printing from various unix systems and windows clients via samba.
> Which packages do you have experience with and what was your opinion?
> Benefits, hidden evils?
>
> Daniel

*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *
*Email: schiller at agrijag.com       \|||/    http://www.agrijag.com *
*Voice: 423-625-6349               (o o)    FAX: 423-623-9054      *